In 1869, 90 members from King's College formed a rugby club representing faculties including the Medical Department.
The attendance of CM Madden and CE Pope at the historic meeting on Cockspur Street on 26 the January 1871 places King's at the heart of world rugby as a founder member of the Rugby Football Union. KCH were first recognised by the Union in 1921, when under the inspiring efforts of selected students and Hospital staff, the club was rejuvenated as we entered the most successful decade in our history.
The Hospital team entered the Inter-Hospital Challenge Cup every season from 1874 through till the mid-90s and has been in the final four times, finishing as runners up on all occasions. Since the Club's move away from it's direct association with the Hospital it is no longer eligible to enter the tournament. Failure to capture the trophy has, over the years, often been the season's frustration, as is evident from a report from the 1903 season.